How to invest in designer fashion
An average cost of a classical Chanel bag had risen 70% from USD 2850 in 2010 to USD 4900 in 2016. However in 1955 it cost only USD 220.
Wolfgant Jochum from Auctionata online auction shares advice on how to invest in the precious accessories.
Bags: only a brand with good reputation
The brand should have existed at least for some decades and be known for good design and quality. Hermes is a great example of the brand strength and excellent quality. The cost of Birkin bag starts from EUR 10500, and for some models may achieve six digits. Chanel bags may also be considered the product to increase in price over the years. The mythical queues for the “haute couture” bags, is nothing but a marketing strategy of fashion houses. Nevertheless, the less models are produced, the higher their price goes.
Watch: a good choice
It is possible to make good investments in watches – especially if it is Rolex and Patek Philippe.
Shoes: not recommended
Shoes is not the best option for investments due to hygienic aspect, even if they have been worn only once. Usually shoes are cheaper than bags.
Clothes: provenance makes it more valuable
Expensive clothing is a purchase of a person, who usually spends a lot of funds on their wardrobe. A brand for an investment dressing could be Dior, Yves Saint Laurent or Gucci, especially if the item belonged to a famous person. However, even then there is room for some risk.
- The more elegant the style of an item is, the more appropriate it is as an investments.
- The clothes and accessories should be wearable; it is better not to buy things to store them hoping their value would grow.
- The design of an article should be timeless. A pink lacquer bag with the print of palms is rather a “fast fashion” trend, and its quite unlikely its cost would grow over time. An exception is limited collections of strong brands, such as collaboration of Takashi Murakami with Louis Vuitton.
- The preferable colour of an article is neutral – black, blue or beige.
- Certificates and purchase receipts are important. For example, the cost of watches may vary within EUR 1000 depending on the availability of the box and the documents.